VPN and Proxy are the same kinds of tools that help users to hide their identities over the internet. But both use different kinds of protocols in order to hide you from everyone. It defends your location, data, and identity so that you can browse anything you want on the internet. Using both VPN software or proxy you can get any geo-restricted content without having any worries about your identity over the internet.
What is a Proxy Server?
Proxy is a very familiar word to all of us. The basic and most used meaning of the word “Proxy” is to give power to someone to do the provided task in someone else’s place. The word proxy has the same meaning even in the world of the internet but with a twist. The Proxy is a server that acts as a mediator between the users and the Internet. The primary task of a proxy server is to hide the IP address of the user from the website they are surfing and provide security to the same. In simple words, the proxy server acts as the middle man and retrieves the data from the webpage for users.
Types of proxy servers:
There are three different types of proxy servers:
- HTTP Proxies: weaving out web traffic, these are beneficial for web browsing.
- Socks Proxies: it works for gaming applications or video streaming software.
- Transparent Proxies: these are maneuvered by parents or employers to maintain attics.
PROS AND CONS OF PROXY SERVER:
To begin with a few advantages of a proxy server; we can concentrate on the following points mentioned below:
- It’s faster as it uses the cache memory.
- It prevents internet traffic by caching the files, thereby preventing crashes.
- Most proxy servers are free of any charges.
- It helps the companies to keep a check on its employees.
- It protects the IP address and hence the anonymity of its users.
Now, let’s discuss its cons or disadvantages:
- The foremost and crucial disadvantage of a proxy server is that though it provides security to the IP address of the user, it fails to encrypt the data which paves a way for the hackers or government to trace the data easily.
- There are issues related to its compatibility with the local networks that are being raised.
VPN (VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORK)
To protect Proxy and encrypt data, the use of VPN is prevalent. Now the question arises that how does it protect a proxy server? The answer to it is simple. To answer this question we need to know about VPN first. A VPN is an encrypted connection which encrypts the data of the user thereby preventing it from getting hacked by hackers. It works on the operating system level. Using VPN can provide you many benefits such as you can use VPN for streaming, gaming, browsing, torrenting and so more.
Benefits of a VPN:
- A VPN will protect the user from government surveillance, hackers, and anyone who would try to intercept the device.
- To keep your surfing or online activity private, a VPN is mandatory.
- While working on the operating system level unlike proxy, a VPN will reroute all your surfing data.
Which VPN is good for proxy?
Now comes the most important part of this whole write up. Which VPN is good for proxy? One should always look for a provider which provides a “No Logs Policy”. The top two VPN service providers are ExpressVPN and NordVPN.
The best VPN or the leading VPN provider can only be chosen by the type of security that a provider supply and several other features. Let us compare the three of the above-mentioned VPNs to find out the answer.
It allows you to choose from a vast range of 160 server locations in 94 countries. It covers your IP address and location. It provides 24/7 customer service. It also lets you watch censored or blocked content all around the globe. It has easy-to-use VPN apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Linux, android and smart TVs. The most important feature is that it protects by advanced mathematics in AES-256, which is said to be trusted by most security experts. It also allows split tunneling. It has an inbuilt Speed test feature. The user can stream the missed sports events as well. ExpressVPN has an active blog feature that provides security tips, news about internet security, and digital freedom. It also has public Wi-Fi security. Step by step tutorials is provided to the users. ExpressVPN lets you connect 5 devices at once. Coming to the payment options, ExpressVPN again impresses the users by providing a wide range of options such as Bitcoin, Credit cards, and other forms of online payment. ExpressVPN has other features too which makes it probably the best VPN service provider.
Coming to the pricing of ExpressVPN, it is currently priced at $6.67 per month. For 6 months they charge $ 9.99.
It is considered to be the fastest VPN. It provides a strict no-logs policy. It has a wide range of impeccable 5200 servers in 60 countries. Unlike ExpressVPN, here you can connect 6 devices altogether. It brings forth protection of your data non-stop. Other features include Split Tunnelling, dedicated IP address, and NordVPN encryption can be combined with the Onion router to ensure anonymity. It is safe to use and also provides 24/7 support to its customers. It provides military-grade protection and is priced at a lesser amount than ExpressVPN. Its priced at $4.92 per month(1 yr plan).
By comparing the features of these two VPNs we can easily get the idea that both of these are remarkable. The features they both provide are almost identical but when it comes to pricing, NordVPN stands out. Many YouTubers also suggest NordVPN as it is easy to use and more pocket friendly.