PeopleTools Application Development Tools (ATT) is an integrated suite of software tools provided by Oracle to accelerate the development, customization, integration, management, and deployment of PeopleSoft applications. PeopleTools ATT enables developers, administrators, and end users to build, modify, administer, and use PeopleSoft systems efficiently.
We will guide you on the key features, components, installation, configuration, usage scenarios, best practices, and benefits of leveraging PeopleTools ATT for PeopleSoft application lifecycle management.
What is PeopleTools ATT?
PeopleTools ATT is a collection of utilities and programs that help extend the capabilities of PeopleSoft applications. It provides a graphical user interface, scripting language, administrative tools, and integration mechanisms to customize, integrate, manage, and develop PeopleSoft systems.
Some of the key capabilities enabled by PeopleTools ATT include:
- Building new components like pages, menus, and application messages
- Modifying and extending existing components
- Writing business logic using PeopleCode
- Integration with other systems
- Administration, optimization, and troubleshooting
- Deploying changes across environments
PeopleTools ATT has evolved to provide features that align with the latest technology trends and standards. For example, recent ATT releases include REST API support, responsive mobile-friendly interfaces, AI/ML integration, and Fluid UX development.
The main components of PeopleTools ATT include:
- Application Designer
- Application Engine
- Integration Broker
- Various utilities like Data Mover, Process Scheduler, Security, etc
Key Components of PeopleTools ATT
Application Designer provides a graphical environment to define, build, customize, and maintain PeopleSoft applications. The key features include:
- Creating application elements like records, pages, components, etc
- Modifying and extending existing application elements
- Defining application navigation and security
- Generating SQL create/alter scripts
- Testing and debugging applications
Application Designer streamlines PeopleSoft systems’ construction, enhancement, and testing using simple drag-and-drop interactions. Developers can reuse and share common objects using libraries and projects.
Application Designer also provides traceability between application elements so you can easily track the impact of changes across multiple components.
PeopleCode is an easy-to-learn proprietary scripting language provided by PeopleTools ATT to implement business logic in PeopleSoft applications.
With PeopleCode, you can:
- Validate user input on pages
- Perform complex calculations and data manipulations
- Dynamically modify application behavior and interfaces
- Integrate with external systems by invoking web services, APIs, etc.
- Send notifications and emails based on transactions
- Schedule background processes like batched jobs
- Enhance integration, reporting, and analytics
PeopleCode programs can be associated with application events, properties, methods, and functions. The PeopleCode Editor highlights color-coded syntax, intelligent code completion, and debugging features to improve developer productivity.
Application Engine enables developers to create and execute high-volume batch processes and complex operational programs in PeopleSoft systems.
The key capabilities include:
- Defining multi-step application processes
- Executing SQL statements and PeopleCode programs
- Transferring control between sections
- Using state records to share data
- Dynamic processing based on conditional logic
- Logging, error handling, and restart capabilities
Application Engine provides powerful features to develop and deploy batch processes, data conversions, file processing routines, scheduled tasks, and complex application integrations.
Integration Broker provides a robust mechanism to integrate PeopleSoft systems with other applications using service-oriented architecture concepts.
The key capabilities enabled by Integration Broker include:
- Exposing PeopleSoft components as services
- Consuming external services from PeopleSoft
- Defining service operations, messages, and transformations
- Support for synchronous and asynchronous messaging
- I use standard protocols like SOAP, REST, FTP, JMS, etc.
- Managing routing, logging, security, etc.
Integration Broker reduces the effort to exchange information seamlessly across disparate systems.
PeopleTools ATT delivers many utilities that simplify administrative tasks and operational management of PeopleSoft environments. Some examples include:
- Data Mover – Used to import/export data and metadata across PeopleSoft databases
- Process Scheduler – Enables scheduling and monitoring of batch jobs
- Query – Provides an interface to write and execute SQL queries
- Security – Manages user access and permissions for PeopleSoft modules
These utilities help administrators set up and control PeopleSoft applications with minimal coding effort.
Now that we have explored the key components of PeopleTools ATT let’s look at the installation and configuration steps.
Installing and Configuring PeopleTools ATT
Before ATT features can be used to develop and manage PeopleSoft systems, the PeopleTools software must be properly installed and configured.
The high-level steps are outlined below:
Step 1: Install Prerequisites
The PeopleTools installation requires:
- Supported Operating System
- Supported RDBMS like Oracle, DB2, etc.
- Minimum hardware requirements met.
Refer to the installation guide for your specific PeopleSoft release to determine the prerequisites.
Step 2: Obtain PeopleTools Image
- Download the PeopleTools image files for your release from Oracle Software Delivery Cloud.
- Extract the zip files to a local directory on the server.
Step 3: Run PeopleTools Setup
- Start the PeopleTools setup to launch the installation wizard.
- Specify configuration parameters like installation location, database type, etc.
- Install any required PeopleTools patches.
Step 4: Create PeopleTools Database
- Set up the PeopleTools database using configuration scripts.
- Run SQL scripts to create tables, indexes, etc.
Step 5: Configure PeopleTools Domain
- Use the PSADMIN utility to create an application server domain.
- Specify details for the web server, application server, Process Scheduler, etc.
- Make sure the configuration is fully functional.
Once the installation and domain creation steps are complete, developers, administrators, and users can leverage the PeopleTools ATT features. The application will be further enhanced over time by customizing existing components and building new elements.
Next, review some example usage scenarios for the key ATT components.
Usage Scenarios for PeopleTools ATT
Here are some common use cases and examples to demonstrate how the various PeopleTools ATT features can be applied:
Application Designer Usage
- New Component Development – Create new application pages, messages, menus, etc. to extend system functionality
- Customization – Modify existing pages by adding, removing, altering fields, layouts, etc.
- Upgrade Assistance – Use compare features to identify changes between old and new releases.
- Input Validation – Verify data quality by adding edit checks in PeopleCode
- Business Logic – Perform complex computations and data manipulation for transactions
- Application Integration – Invoke web services from PeopleCode to exchange data with external systems
- Dynamic Processing – Vary application behavior based on run-time data values
Application Engine Usage
- Data Conversion – Migrate data from a legacy system into the PeopleSoft database
- Data Interfaces – Load data files from source systems using file layout definitions
- Scheduled Processes – Execute batch jobs like report generation at defined intervals
- Transaction Cleanup – Remove outdated records by designing cleanup processes
Integration Broker Usage
- B2B Integration – Exchange data with partners by publishing and consuming web services
- Event-Driven Processing – Trigger business events on transaction milestones
- Legacy Connectivity – Use JMS to interface with legacy applications
- Data Replication – Keep databases in sync by setting up message queues
PeopleTools Utilities Usage
- Query – Develop SQL queries to analyze operational data
- Data Mover – Migrate application customizations across instances
- Process Scheduler – Schedule and monitor ETL jobs
- Security – Set up user access profiles aligned with the security policy
This summarizes some typical scenarios where PeopleTools ATT features are leveraged to support application development, integration, administration, reporting, and analytics.
Next, review some tips and best practices to use ATT efficiently.
Best Practices for Using PeopleTools ATT
Here are some recommendations and guidelines to ensure you utilize PeopleTools ATT effectively:
- Maintain logical grouping of related definitions into projects
- Standardize naming conventions for definitions
- Limit access to projects based on developer role
- Use Compare features to identify changes before migrating customizations
- Build indexes to improve performance for frequently used search keys
- Adhere to naming conventions for variables, methods, etc.
- Comment code snippets clearly for maintenance
- Use Debugger features to add/remove breakpoints and step through code
- Leverage built-in meta-SQL methods for reusable queries
- Avoid unbounded Do loops to prevent run-away processes
Application Engine Processes
- Use dynamic SQL rather than static SQL whenever possible for flexibility -Design with restart ability in mind by minimizing interdependencies -Use Commit statements wisely to balance transaction integrity and performance -Employ state records to pass data between sections -Utilize debugging features like Trace and Step to isolate issues.
Integration Broker Services
- Define service operations systematically using naming standards
- Minimize payload size for optimal performance
- Use integration gateways for inbound and outbound connectivity
- Enable service monitoring for transaction tracking
- Set up service level agreements (SLAs) for critical integrations
- Schedule Process Scheduler jobs during off-peak hours
- Develop standards for Query definitions across teams
- Monitor index usage over time and rebuild where needed
- Back up Data Mover scripts in source control
- Maintain strict access controls via Security roles
- Leverage PeopleBooks documentation for details on ATT features
- Join Oracle forums and user groups to learn from the community
- Follow application development guidelines and architectural standards
- Use the Project Upgrade feature to identify customizations vs core changes
- Attend training courses on ATT for continuous knowledge-building
Adopting these tips and techniques will help harness the full capabilities of PeopleTools ATT for developing, managing, and enhancing PeopleSoft applications.
Benefits of Using PeopleTools ATT
Here are some of the major advantages of using PeopleTools ATT for PeopleSoft application management:
- Improved Developer Productivity – ATT provides an intuitive GUI-based interface, a metadata-driven development paradigm, and rich features for continuously delivering application changes across environments.
- Accelerated Application Development – Rapid application development is enabled through reusable objects, drag-and-drop development, compare utilities, version control integration, and numerous productivity-boosting features.
- Enhanced Integration Capabilities – Seamless connectivity to external systems and real-time data exchange is achieved using integration broker, messaging, web services, APIs, and other standards-based integration mechanisms.
- Simplified Administration – ATT provides various tools to automate application maintenance, optimization, diagnostics, disaster recovery, and day-to-day administrative tasks.
- Lower TCO – The comprehensive toolset maximizes developer output, minimizes coding efforts and provides high returns on investment in the PeopleSoft platform.
- Improved Agility – New application features can be rolled out faster to address evolving business needs and changing requirements.
- Better Resource Optimization – ATT encourages collaboration and reusability that fully utilizes skills across distributed teams.
- Enhanced Scalability – Applications can scale smoothly as data volume, transactions, and user base grows.
In summary, PeopleTools ATT capabilities are indispensable for organizations using PeopleSoft applications that want to achieve business agility, accelerate innovation, and gain competitive advantage.
PeopleTools ATT provides a wide range of integrated tools that form the foundation for developing, enhancing, administering, and maintaining PeopleSoft applications.
This guide explored the key features, installation steps, usage scenarios, best practices, and benefits of the Application Designer, PeopleCode, Application Engine, Integration Broker, and supporting utilities that makeup ATT.
Mastering PeopleTools ATT is crucial for developers, administrators, and users to maximize their PeopleSoft investment. By taking advantage of these robust tools, organizations can realize significant productivity gains, faster application delivery, simplified integration, and lower TCO.
Whether you are new to PeopleSoft or have years of experience, continuous learning will help you unlock the full potential of PeopleTools ATT. This guide summarizes the key concepts and techniques, but detailed documentation, training courses, and hands-on practice are vital to become proficient with ATT.
If you have any other questions on PeopleTools ATT or need assistance with your PeopleSoft projects, please get in touch with us. Our team of experts can guide you to apply ATT optimally based on your specific requirements and use cases.