Whenever you decide to go for shaerd hosting or buy VPS servers, there are multiple factores you should consider to get the best performance out of it. Website SERVER & SEO performance always go paralle. SEO is surely influenced by lots of variables, among which the good server plays an important role. In today’s article we want to have a look at how to positively influence your SEO ranking from the hardware perspective.
Improving SEO by choosing the right hardware
Any website is powered by a physical server, which on its own is a piece of computing hardware housed in a special facility – in a data center – and connected to the World Wide Web. Choosing the right hosting has a profound effect on the performance of your website and eventually on your SEO as well.
The first thing you should do to reach the optimal performance of your server is to choose the optimal type of hosting that has a sufficient amount of resources to cover your project needs.
There or more or less four types of web hosting that you’ll have to select from: dedicated hosting, shared hosting, VPS hosting, and cloud hosting.
Dedicated hosting is an entire physical server. It has the highest number of resources and the best performance. However, the resources available may be much more than your project’s needs, while its rental price may be too high for a tight budget.
- Shared hosting is one of the solutions for this disbalance which is basically sharing the resource of a server between dozens of users. While being very cheap, it cannot often cover the needs of projects for which reliability and performance are critical and is flawed in many other ways, which is not beneficial for SEO as well.
- VPS or virtual private server hosting is a different way of sharing resources that consists in using the virtualization technology which allows creation of separate units each having a fixed number of dedicated resources as well as full administrative control and root access. To make a long story short, it provides the reliability, stability, and security of dedicated hosting at a much more affordable price.
- Cloud hosting is a different type of hosting that is based on virtualization as well, but distributes resources in a much more flexible way. Its advantage over VPS lies in its quicker deployment and better scalability.
You should choose the server type based on the needs of your project, and if the server meets them well, this will have a positive effect on SEO as well. Why? Because search engines consider the performance, the page load speed, and the security of a given website and these variables have a significant effect on their eventual verdict.
Page load speed is one of the main parameters for a website to which search engines pay a lot of attention as well. One of the aspects that have a profound effect on this variable is the location of a server.
- Improved website performance: A server located near your target audience can improve website loading speed and overall performance, which is a crucial factor in SEO.
- Better user experience: Faster loading times and better website performance can lead to a more positive user experience, which can result in increased engagement, longer session durations, and higher conversion rates.
- Enhanced search engine rankings: Google considers website performance and user experience when ranking websites. By having a server located near your target audience, you can improve these factors and potentially improve your search engine rankings.
- Reduced latency: A server located near your target audience can reduce latency, resulting in faster response times and a more seamless browsing experience.
- Increased security: A server located in a country with strong data protection laws can help ensure the security and privacy of your users’ data.
Since data sent from your server to the machines of your site’s visitors has to cover a certain physical distance before reaching them, the more distance the more latency. Large distances will make your visitors wait more for the response of your website and this can result in considerably longer waiting times which can cause irritation and reduce your SEO.
The wisest strategy is therefore to opt for the server that is as close to your target audience as possible so your website responds almost immediately. Before opting for a particular offer from a particular provider, always make sure they offer a favorable location.
SSL certificate is a basic security certificate responsible for the encryption of the data that is transmitted between your website and its visitors. This is literally a standard for modern-day websites, especially when it comes to sharing sensitive data, which necessarily happens, for example, during the acquisition of goods and services. For this reason, SSL is a must-consider aspect when setting up your website.
- Boosted Search Engine Rankings: Google has confirmed that websites with SSL certificates are given a slight ranking boost.
- Enhanced User Trust: A secure website with an SSL certificate instills more trust in users, which can lead to increased engagement and better SEO.
- Improved Security: SSL helps protect sensitive information, such as login credentials and personal data, which is crucial for maintaining a good reputation and avoiding security issues that could negatively impact SEO.
- Better Referral Data: When a secure website (HTTPS) refers traffic to your website, the referral data is preserved, allowing you to better understand your traffic sources and optimize your SEO strategy.
- Mobile Optimization: SSL is essential for mobile optimization, as Google prioritizes secure websites in mobile search results.
IP is the digital address of your website and search engines perceive it as a separate entity only in case it has a dedicated IP. If you have a shared IP, for example, on shared hosting, these other websites will affect your SEO as well, making your website correspond worse to your specific subject matter.
- Improved website performance: A dedicated IP can help improve website loading speed and overall performance, which is a crucial factor in SEO.
- Reduced risk of blacklisting: With a dedicated IP, you’re not sharing the same IP address with other websites. This reduces the risk of being associated with spammy or malicious websites, which could lead to blacklisting by search engines.
- Better security: A dedicated IP can provide better security for your website, as you’re not sharing the same IP address with other websites that might have vulnerabilities.
- Enhanced email deliverability: A dedicated IP can help improve email deliverability, as you’re not sharing the same IP address with other websites that might be sending out spam emails.
- Improved search engine rankings: All of these factors can contribute to improved search engine rankings, as search engines like Google take website performance, security, and email deliverability into account when ranking websites.
I would like to remind you that a dedicated IP can help with SEO, but it’s not a magic solution, like nothing goes over night if you accquire a dedicated IP adress. You’ll still need to focus on other important SEO factors, like high-quality content, mobile optimization, and multiple more factores.
Search engine algorithms are rather smart and consider any aspect that has to do with the performance and security of your website. For this reason, the right way of reaching the best SEO from the hardware perspective is to do everything for your website to perform well while the data of your customers is well secured. We hope that these recommendations have been helpful and wish you good luck!